Saturday, November 6, 2010

BP5_EdHeads

EdHeads guide for Weather
Is a great site for students to work on and it is free. I would use this as a reinforcement after I have introduced the content to the students.  I love this site because it has different levels so that each individual student can go at their own pace. There are also several different multiple intelligences in this game. A game is what the students think that they are doing while they are completing activities. However, they are actually learning while applying their knowledge. When you click on Weather you have two options report or predict. I would suggest to my student to start with the predicting first. Choose Level 1 to get the feel for the game, then they can do whatever level that they would like on either one. The student can click on the button on the bottom or those in the picture to get started. Then you will listen to directions. Once you have clicked on the level you will then have directions to read. You will have boxes down the bottom of the screen that when you click on them they have multiple answers. You must pick the one on the map in order to get a green light, which is correct. Then you have to use some multiplication in order to find out how many miles the front will travel, a calculator is supplied in the upper left hand corner. The student must then click on the miles box and enter the number then press OK. Then the student can read how fronts move, they can also visually see how that fronts are moving. Students can tell what types of weather are attached to a cold or warm front. At the end you are given a promotion. Then if the student has gotten anything wrong they can repeat the same level, if they got everything right the can go to the next level. This site also contains a weather glossary and lesson plans for the teacher. I would recommend this site to teachers with visual, auditory, linguistic, and interpersonal learners. I have several special education and general students that fall into one of those categories . Thanks to www.EdHeads. com and Microsoft word.

3 comments:

  1. Tina, That sounds like a great site. I will definitely try this out in my class. We are studying the weather right now. My son had mentioned the site to me before, he had used it to play a game that would allow him to go inside the brain and learn different parts and they're functions. Now that I know it's more versatile than that, I will check it out. Thanks, Melany

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful site. I could see how your students will benefit from such "fun" tool. I don't teach science, so I decided to explore the website and found the coolest link on how cell phones are created. I clicked on every manageable option and I was extremely engaged. Students will definitely enjoy this site. I am particularly happy for you, because I know that students will be talking about this for a long time. I just read Meli1456's comment and she mentioned that she heard about Edheads.com from her own son. That alone is a powerful statement.

    Thanks for sharing this site and I will definitely pass the word around,

    Nancy Madrigal
    Learner.4.Life

    ReplyDelete